CURRENTLY OPEN POSITION
Lewis Yacht Club in Newport RI, seeks an experienced and highly motivated
individual for a full time, year-round position as General Manager. The Ida Lewis Yacht Club (Club) is a private club
open to members from mid-May to early October. The Club hosts active racing, cruising, and junior sailing
programs and is comprised of a marina, clubhouse with dining and bar/function
facilities for over 400 members and guests.
Club assets include 13 watercraft, and over 20 junior sailing boats.
Manager is supported by a seasonal assistant manager and maintenance staff and
a year round bookkeeper / office manager.
Manager will oversee all aspects of the Club’s operations and maintenance
functions, working with the Committee Chairs to further initiatives outlined by
the Flag Officers and Board of Directors. Major responsibilities include (but
are not limited to) hiring, training, and supervising all key staff members to ensure
maximum member and guest satisfaction.
Manager will provide professional leadership in marina and boat operations, fiscal
management, event management, and staff and volunteer management.
-Serves as Head of Operations and manages
all aspects of the Club including its activities and the relationships between
the Flag Officers, Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and
-Consistently assures that the Club is operated
in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
Oversees the care and maintenance of all the
Club’s physical assets and facilities.
-Works with the Board of Directors to develop
annual budgets; works with the Bookkeeper/Office Manager to monitor budgets and
other financial statements; approves vouchers before payment; prepares
financial reports to the Treasurer.
-Establishes and monitors compliance with
purchasing policies and procedures; reviews and approves purchasing procedures
Reporting and Engagement
-Attends monthly meetings of the Club’s
Management Committee and Board of Directors.
-Delivers financial, strategic and staffing reports
to the Management Committee
-Foster the atmosphere of the Club as a yacht
club and maintain customs and traditions with special attention to proper
performance of “Colors.”
-Properly manages all aspects of the Club’s
activities to ensure and maintain the quality of products and services provided
by the Club.
-Proactively seeks methods to increase quality and member
-In conjunction with the Assistant Manager
(House) and Entertainment Chair, continually monitor the food and beverage
operation and make recommendations for enhancing the dining experience and
taking measures to increase profits and clubhouse utilization.
-Establishes a basic personnel policy; initiates
and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and
-Leads efforts to continuously improve staff quality
-Works cooperatively with assistant managers to
schedule, supervise and direct the work of all employees; confers with them
about personnel-related matters including compensation, job changes and
-Handles emergencies, accidents and breaches of
security or house rules promptly and in person.
-The General Manager will lead by example and a hands on approach with a
hospitable, friendly and can-do attitude when engaging with staff,
members/guests, and outside parties.
Education and Experience
-Bachelor’s degree desired.
-Five to ten years of management experience in the marine
trades, yacht club, and/or hospitality industry.
-Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation is a plus.
-Educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more
than 5 years of applicable work experience.
-Work experience may be adjusted based on education, or highly
specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
-Effective communication and
-Yacht club, marina, or hospitality
industry management skills.
-Marine trades, dock management and
-Launch driver certification.
-Proficiency with PC usage, including
Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel spreadsheets, and QuickBooks
-Light mechanical and carpentry skills.
-Social media skills.
Manager/bookkeeper, Assistant Manager (House), Assistant Manager (Waterfront)
and seasonal employees (launch drivers, waterfront and galley/bar staff).
please submit a resume with references and a cover letter noting salary
requirements to the Chair of the Search Committee:
Secretary Christopher Arner
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASONS:
Ida Lewis Yacht Club is a seasonal member-owned Club open May through October. Located in the middle of beautiful Newport Harbor and offering competitive salaries in an easy-going yet professional work environment, Ida Lewis is one of the best places for a summer job in New England.
- Part-Time Bartender (Bar shifts are available seven nights a week, as well as weekend afternoons. Our bar primarily serves beer, wine, and mixed drinks. Must be available 2-3 shifts per week, at least 1 weekend shift per week)
- Galley (Kitchen) Staff (Galley is open Tues, Wed, Fri, and Saturday nights, as well as Sunday brunch and occasional special events. Applicants should be experienced, professional, and available to work all 5 shifts per week.)
- Dock Office/Front of House (Seeking friendly, hospitable and responsible people with marina, customer service, and/or food and beverage experience to handle dock office administrative work and host/hostess during events)
- Launch Driver (USCG license required, launch driving experience preferred but not required - we can train you if you have the license. Must be available at least 2 shifts per week.)
- General Utility (Perform general cleaning and maintenance, bus tables, run food to tables, set up tables and décor for venues, etc.) We are always looking for launch drivers, bartenders, general and dock office staff.
- Chef General Position Summary: Responsible to oversee and effectively manage the galley, galley staff, food production and storage areas, related assets and inventory of the ILYC food department. Ensure that the ILYC food department meets safety and sanitation, service, food quality, employee relations and budget goals
Please click here to apply through our hiring page. For other inquiries regarding job openings, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org (please no unsolicited phone calls).